Sunday, April 5, 2009

Breakfast Bloody Marys

I would consider myself a connoisseur of bloody marys. When I lived in San Diego, I developed a love for these drinks. One morning every weekend was sure to include them. About a year ago, I started trying to perfect the recipe- something not too tomato, not too spicy, good texture, lots of garnish. I came across this recipe in the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. Works the best if you have a food processor, but I have also made them in the blender. If you like them really hot, make sure to add more hot sauce and Worcestershire than the recipe calls for. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 large celery stalks
3 t prepared horseradish
the juice of 3 lemons
2 t grated yellow onion- I used about 1/4 of a small onion and threw it in the food processor
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t celery salt
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t Tabasco- I used Cholula
46 ounces of tomato juice
2 cups vodka- I recommend Absolut Peppar

Directions:
Cut the celery in large chunks and puree in the bowl of a food processor. Add horseradish, onion, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, kosher salt, and Tabasco and puree it again. Pour tomato juice into a 2 1/2 quart pitcher, stir in the mixture and add vodka and chill. Salt glass rims and fill with ice. Garnish with celery stalks, lemon, and green olives. I made this a day ahead and it worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment