Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Chicken


Sorry I am ruining vegetarian month a few days early (I heard Nat had a steak this weekend so I don't feel that bad!). I get about three cooking magazines per month in addition to a stack of cookbooks. I made a goal this month that at least once per week I am going to actually cook something out of these wonderful reads. Tonight Dave and I made chicken that we adapted from the April 2009 Bon Appetit, which highlights using fresh spring ingredients. It was so good that I can't wait until my lunch tomorrow when I get to have it again!

Ingredients:
1/4 c finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 T finely chopped fresh tarragon
1 T minced shallot (I used the whole thing)
2 t grated orange peel
1/2 t grated lemon peel

1 package boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed and coated with salt and pepper)
2 T (+) olive oil
1 T butter

1 bunch green onions, finely chopped, discard the dark green parts
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch slender asparagus spears, cleaned and trimmed into thirds
3/4 c vegetable broth
2 T cream fraiche

Directions:
Mix first five ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Heat olive oil in heavy skillet. Cook chicken thighs about 3 minutes on each side until cooked all the way through. Remove from heat and put on a plate covered with foil to keep warm.

Add butter and onions to pan. Cook until translucent (about 4 min). Add asparagus and saute 1 minute longer. Salt and pepper to taste. Add vegetable broth to pan. Simmer about 4 minutes until veggies are fully cooked. Add herb and lemon mixture to pan. Add cream fraiche to pan. Cook an additional 2 minutes on low until sauce thickens. Remove veggies with slotted spoon and set aside with chicken. Cook sauce a few more minutes until bubbly.


I served the chicken, veggies, and sauce over wild rice pilaf with a steamed artichoke on the side. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment